4/26/07

ADULT ADHD treatment & how to overcome

z

What do you do when you think you have ADHD & you are an adult, they say that the majority of adults diagnosed have been bounced by their children.

"If you look at ADHD in treated and untreated populations, the risk of substance abuse, serious accidents, work problems, and family problems is much, much higher in nontreated people," says Lenard Adler, MD, director of the Combined Departments of Psychiatry and Neurology Adult ADHD Program at New York University School of Medicine. (this was taken out of Medicenenet.com) I really agree with that statement,

I will tell you from my personal experience that I have ADHD as an adult, it was mainly stemmed because I didn't receive the proper treatment as a teenager for my PTSD. Some say that if you have had depression or other like prognosis, that it becomes more severe as an adult. I am a walking legend of this, if anyone suffers from ADHD, it's because you were depressed as a child & more than likely it was repressed by others around you being angry on how you were reacting or not acting. When it gets to the point where you are being self destructive with your life, you aren't able to see it when it's there but hopefully within time, life & medicene will advance and you'll be able to take on new challenges.

I personally never saw what was happening to me, because I was in the turmoil. I thought I had it together then one day, I just completely went another direction. I often blamed others for what I saw as failures yet never really looked within myself, why I really couldn't stand to be around people when before I loved being around people. I was constantly irritable, I divulged myself into drinking alot, doing things that were completely unsafe and my financial situation went to the crapper in a blink of an eye. I finally hit bottom and I'll tell you I didn't think there was any hope for me then. I was in bad relationships that I knew needed to end yet I was too codependant & was too scared to be alone.

When you have hit ground zero, you don't think there is any hope for you, I know because I have been there. I am no one to get excited about because there are probably a couple million people who have also gotten out of the slump. They'll agree that it wasn't easy & there were many consequences to fae & endure. I remember thinking when I started seeing things not going the right way that this was the sign that I wasn't supposed to keep going yet I did because there was something in me that was saying, come on, you can do this. No, it wasn't Rob Schneider :) The path is tough yet the treatment is very simple.

It has to be in you, no pill, no magic juice, no talk show self help guru is going to get you to do what you need to do. You have the power to create your own path, It has to be within you. I remember asking myself, "AM I READY TO MAKE A CHANGE?" I eventually went to the doctor & they put me on a regiment of a structured diet, exercise & personal time plan. I am not one to take medicene, I figure I am already imbalanced, why risk imbalancing my life anymore? I hope that if you are having a hard time coping, seek within yourself & others. Believe me you will be surprised who comes out for you in time of need.

In good health,
Alison

"ADULT ADHD TREATMENT" "ORGANIC KEYWORD SEARCHES" "REMEDIES FOR ADULT ADHD"

No comments: